Sunday, June 13, 2010

A visit at a new hair dresser - a woman's biggest fear

After good 8 weeks, I could not prolong the visit at the hair dresser any longer, as much as I wished I could. Last time I needed a trim and top up of colour, the hubby and I went conveniently for a short trip to Melbourne. But now, 8 weeks later, every morning, my re-growth reminded me that I desperately need to make an appointment. After reading on Facebook that one of my friends has now much shorter only because her usual hair dresser moved away, I was even more afraid. Don't think I am vain but my hair is holy. Last year when leading up to our wedding, I looked after it religiously and sort of kept the care routine. 


My hair dresser in Australia and I have built this trustworthy relationship (obviously if you spend 3 hours of your time every 6 weeks with her): she knows me, my hair and my style and I know that she won't bully me into trying something new. 
But what do you do in a different country where the majority of the population has a different hair colour and hair texture? Well, I jumped on the net and went through the expat forums to find a good recommendations. It seems like every Caucasian expat woman goes to Tony Guy. Hooray, Tony Guy is very popular in Australia so I was confident nothing would go wrong here. I made an appointment with Tony Guy and pre-warned the hubby that this is going to be an expensive visit.


So last Friday was the big day. With wobbling knees I got there right on time and desperate for a coffee. One of their many assistants ushered me into a super comfy chair, brought me tons of women magazine and coffee. 
Then my stylist who cut and blow dry my hair introduced herself - I explained in easy terms what I want. And of course, she tried to come up with a new hair cut, more layers, a fringe maybe. I had to tell her a few times "no", "no" and again "no" - leave it as it is. Well at that point I was super afraid and could not enjoy my coffee nor read one of the great glossy magazines in front of me. With my eagle eyes, I oversaw her cutting work. Lucky I did, otherwise my hair would probably be much shorter now.
Quick blow dry, then my colourist Ray arrived. It is still beyond me why the hair would be cut before it will be cut. Takes much longer with the double washing of hair, never mind, I enjoyed the free head massages. 
This nice colourist gave me a quick lecture on how my hair would be different here in Singapore than in Australia. Bla bla bla, I was about to ask if he has my hair, but kept quiet since he was in control my highlights and I didn't want him to stuff it up. I let him do his work and started to enjoy the glossy magazines. 


Almost 4 hours later (this is a record!), after having 2 awesome head massages and reading 7(!) magazines, I was done. What do I think? Well the cut is good, it is still long and the colour seems to be fine too BUT I think it is a little bit too blonde. I need to use much more bronzer to compensate the very blonde now. Lucky that I bought a great new bronzer just the other day. 
;-)


Sometimes I really envy guys, they can just walk into any hair dresser, it takes maximum 30 minutes and they are happy with what they get, or they even cut their own hair. The hubby went to a random hair dresser yesterday and looks great - took only 15 minutes.


By the way, I discovered that Glee's Mr Schuster Matthew Morrison has the most amazing abs. This is the photo of the June issue of the US Vogue which I read on Friday. OMG, who would have thought that Mr Schu is so hot underneath his nerdy cardi? I love Glee even more now. 

2 comments:

  1. Funny. Just watching some recorded Glee as I write this.
    Wouldn't say I love, but it is a good show

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uli, you surprise me more and more. First SATC and now Glee. What's next Jersey Shore or Keeping up with the Kardashians? ;-) No just kidding.
    My favourite show is Dexter by the way - can't wait for the next season starting in September.

    ReplyDelete